About ESC… (Read our constitution here)
The Engineering Student Council at the University of Kentucky is committed to providing services and to furthering the development of the engineering student body. We will provide the means to coordinate the interactions of the engineering student organizations, for better communication between them and to enhance student programs. We will act as the liaison to the faculty, administration and Alumni Association to express student concerns and our commitment to the continuous improvement of the College of Engineering.
Activities of the Engineering Student Council include:
Freshman Orientation- A program set up to welcome the new Engineering Students to the college and allow them to talk to current students to get a students answer to their questions, it also allows them to learn about the various Engineering Organizations they can get involved with.
- Freshmen Engineering Student Council (FESC)- FESC acts as the student council for the freshmen engineering class, putting on such events as Monte Carlo Night to let the freshmen feel more at home in the College of Engineering. FESC also helps to make a Handbook that is handed out at the next years Freshmen Orientation that includes important phone numbers, dates and some general advice for the incoming freshmen.
- Engineers Day- E-day occurs every year in late February during the National Engineers Week, it is a way for kids from elementary to high school to learn more about UK’s College of Engineering, student organizations hold contest for the kids and several companies attend to show what Engineers are doing in the “Real World.”
- Spring Picnic - Everybody in the COE is invited to come out for an afternoon of free food, music and games. The dunking booth staffed with College of Engineering Faculty including the Dean’s is always a big hit!
- Dean’s Forum- A way for the Dean to let the students know what is going on in the college and allow the students to ask questions about the college.
- Regional and National Engineering Student Council Leadership Conferences- As a part of NAESC the UK ESC always attends the two conferences held each year. The NAESC Conference and the Regional Conference are run solely by students, it is a way for the different ESC’s to come together and learn about new events and other ideas that we can use to improve our local ESC the College of Engineering.
- Spring Career Fair - Just started in the Spring of 2002 we are really excited about the response we had, we plan to make this a yearly activity. Being in the spring gives students another chance to look for a fulltime/co-op/internship for the upcoming year.
- Cheap Lunch – Started from an idea from the 2001 National Conference it has really turned out to be a hit, we sell 30-40 pizza’s every Wednesday for $1 a slice and bottled cokes for $1, it makes it easy on students being able to grab a bite to eat between class for cheap and it also allows us to let them know what is going on in the college.
- Golf Scramble – We are planning on having a golf scramble next fall in conjunction with the SWE Fall Career Fair, students, faculty, staff and the company representatives are encouraged to join us.
Meetings are held biweekly and all engineering students are welcome to attend.